Personal style is a big deal in Sims 4, and luckily the game allows you to express it through clothing. While creating a Sim, we outfit our Sim with numerous clothing items. Everything is covered, from sleepwear to party clothes, and plenty of options exist. But what happens when our clothes get stale? What happens if you want to change your Sims clothes every day? This is what this guide will be about, as we’ll tell you everything there is to know about getting new clothes in Sims 4.
You can get new clothes for your Sim by interacting with your wardrobe or mirror, allowing you to enter CAS mode and plan your outfits. You can change your Sims clothes by selecting the “manage household” option, allowing you to open CAS. New clothes are available throughout the game as you master certain skills and unlock certain career promotions. You can also unlock a good deal of clothes through cheats. If you have Highschool Years expansion pack, you also shop for new clothes on a phone app called “Trendi”
Now that we’ve covered how to get new clothes in Sims 4, it’s time to analyze this in more detail. If you’re interested in how to plan your outfits and how to unlock all clothes in Sims 4 via cheats. Stay with us and keep reading!
How do you update Sims outfits?
The first thing you’ve probably noticed when you started creating your Sim in a new playthrough is that you have several different types of outfits that you can create. In Sims 4, you can create outfits for everyday, formal occasions, sports, sleepwear, partying, swimming, cold weather, and hot weather.
You can save up to five outfits per category and change them at any time. Also, at your disposal, you have a certain “career” outfit that you will get as soon as you select your career path. Those outfits can’t be easily modified through conventional means but can be altered through cheats.
You can update your Sims outfit through CAS and by interacting with wardrobes, mirrors, and closets. Let’s see how to do that.
Updating clothes through wardrobes, mirrors, and closets
This is the most accessible way to update your Sims outfit, and as soon as you interact with the pieces of furniture mentioned above, you will get the following options: plan an outfit, change your outfit, and try on outfits.
The “change your outfit” option only allows you to select your already saved outfits. It doesn’t allow you to get new clothes for your Sim. Try on outfits option. Likewise, only allows your Sim to try on every single outfit in the rotation. You will see your Sim posing and changing into every single outfit it has at its disposal.
To get new clothes in Sims 4, you will have to select the “plan outfit” option, as it’s the only option that gives you the opportunity to select the new clothes that your Sim is going to be wearing.
Selecting the “plan outfit” option will transport your Sim into CAS, where you can pick your everyday, formal, athletic, sleepwear, party, swimwear, and hot and cold weather clothes from scratch.
Updating clothes through the manage household option
Alternatively, you can update your Sims clothes by going into CAS via the “manage household” option. If you have cas.fulleditmode cheat on, you will get to change almost anything when it comes to your Sim, even its age.
Going to the “manage household” option will allow you to update the clothes of every single Sim in your household simultaneously.
How to change your work outfit in The Sims 4?
We’ve previously mentioned that you can also update your work outfit in the Sims 4. Although this is not available through conventional means, you can do it by using cheats. To change your work outfit in The Sims 4, follow these steps:
- Press CTRL+SHIFT+C to activate the console.
- Type “testingcheats true” to enable your cheats to work.
- Type “sims.modify_career_outfit_in_cas”
- This will launch CAS immediately, and you will be able to pick just about any outfit to serve as your work outfit. For example, my Sim, who works as a scientist, will, from now on, go to work in a suit of armor.
Can you go shopping in Sims 4?
You can go shopping in Sims 4. If you have The Sims 4: Get to Work expansion, you can visit retail stores and purchase pre-made outfits that are presented on the mannequins. You can even run a retail store and sell just about anything.
Once you’ve navigated your way to the retail store, you need to approach the mannequin, and two options will appear “try on clothes” or “purchase clothes.” Due to clothes being pricy, we recommend you try them on first.
With the Highschool Living expansion, you can purchase clothes at the thrift stores or, if you don’t like leaving the comfort of your own home, you can simply try the smartphone app called “Trendi” through which you can purchase new and hip outfits.
How to unlock special clothes in Sims 4?
Not all clothes are available to you when you start the game, as they are numerous outfits that are specialized and only available if you manage to fulfill certain prerequisites. You can get new clothes for your Sim by:
- Mastering certain skills. You will get access to new specialized clothes if you keep leveling up certain skills.
- Getting promotions in careers. Each career or job you do in Sims 4 has its own unique outfits. You unlock certain clothing sets specific to that career by getting a promotion. You can unlock career-specific clothes by using cheats to get a promotion in a specific field.
- Purchasing club and restaurant perks. The Sims 4: Get together expansion added so-called “clubs” that you can be a part of. Each club has its own stylish attire that you can acquire as you gather more perks.
- Purchasing festival merch. If you have The Sims 4: City Living expansion pack, you can attend festivals, for example, Spice Festival. You will get a notification when a festival is taking place in-game, and you will get the opportunity to purchase merch that stays in your inventory forever.
- The Sims 4: Nifty Knitting Stuff allowed crafty Sims to knit their own clothes. All you need is yarn and certain skills to unlock fashionable but comfortable clothing pieces.
And that would be all, if you’re interested in more Sims-related guides, check out how to bake a birthday cake in Sims 4!